Falmouth’s inshore lifeboat and volunteer crew were launched to reports of three individuals who had been cut off by the tide at Maenporth Beach.

At 5.04pm on Sunday 10 May, Falmouth Lifeboat crew were tasked to assemble. Following new procedures put in place due to Covid-19, all crew waited outside of the lifeboat station upon arrival, distant from one another. The duty Helm entered the station to find out what they were being tasked to, and afterwards, only the selected boat crew and shore crew entered the station.

The inshore lifeboat Robina Nixon Chard launched, and the crew of Helm Elliot Holman, Tom Bird, Tamara Brookes and Lloyd Barron made their way towards Maenporth beach, along with Porthoustock and Falmouth Coastguard Rescue Teams. Shortly after launching, a report came in that the three casualties had made their own way back to the beach, and although a little wet, it was confirmed that they were safe and well.

The lifeboat then returned to the station, was disinfected and made ready for service. 

Sunday’s was the second call for the inshore lifeboat to people caught out by the tide at Maenporth Beach over the bank holiday weekend. The previous was on Friday 8 May, when the casualty made it safely ashore just as the inshore lifeboat was about to be launched from her slipway.

Robina Nixon Chard
Robina Nixon Chard

Notes to editors

  • If you see someone who might be in trouble in the water or cut off by the tide, calling 999 and asking for the Coastguard is vital.
  • The Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) is advising the public that they should not take part in any water based activity on or in the sea, to reduce the risk to the lifesaving charity’s volunteer crews and other emergency services being exposed to COVID-19, and the pressure on their time.
  • For more information from the RNLI regarding COVID-19 and exercising in or near the sea, please visit this page. https://rnli.org/news-and-media/2020/april/09/rnli-urges-people-not-to-use-the-sea-for-exercise-or-recreation