Persons cut off by the tide

Sunday 22 March 2015
Weather:E 2, Slight Sea and Moderate Swell, Good Visibility, Clear Sky
Location: Porthluney Cove, Veryan Bay
Inshore lifeboat crew: Luke Wills (Helmsman), Sandy Procter, Claire Angove
All-weather lifeboat crew: Carl Beardmore (coxswain),  Alistair Heane, Dave Nicoll, Andy Jenkin, Jonathan Hackwell, Neil Capper, Thomas Telford

At 18:41 Falmouth Coastguard requested that both Falmouth inshore and all-weather lifeboats be launched following reports of two persons cut off by the tide at Porthluney Cove in Veryan Bay. Portscatho, Mevagissey and St Austell Coastguard Cliff Rescue Teams had also been tasked to assist.

The inshore lifeboat launched from her slipway at 18:48 and having rounded Zone Point headed up to the east arriving on scene at Porthluney Cove at 19:10. The two casualties were located at the base of the cliff on the west side of the cove. With a moderate swell running onto the rocks and the onset of darkness it was decided to wait for the arrival of the all-weather lifeboat to provide additional illumination before recovering the casualties from the rocks so in the meantime a lifeboat crewman was put ashore to brief the casualties and to provide them with lifejackets.

Once the all-weather lifeboat was on scene at 19:23 the area was illuminated using the lifeboats search light and the casualties and the lifeboat crewman were recovered from the rocks. The casualties were then taken to the beach where they were safely landed at 19:35 and handed over to the coastguard unit. Both lifeboats were then released at 19:45 to return to their station.

The inshore lifeboat was back on its slipway at 20:10 where it was refuelled, rehoused and ready for service by 20:25.

The casualties had become cut off while exploring the cove during one of the biggest tides of the year. Their location had meant that extraction by sea had been the quickest and safest option. The all-weather lifeboat had been launched to support the inshore lifeboat due to the failing light and in case it was required to transport the casualties to an alternative landing site if the beach was not accessible.