Person on board yacht taking on water

Date: Saturday 13 February 2021

Location: Off Greenbank Quay, Falmouth Inner Harbour

Weather: ESE 8, Rough Sea and Moderate Swell, Fair Visibility, Overcast with Rain

All weather lifeboat: (Launched 10:00 / Returned 11:08) – Dave Nicoll (Deputy 2nd Coxswain), Adam West, Nick Head, Jamie Connolly, Tamara Brookes, Joe Amps, Jemima Henstridge-Blows

Inshore lifeboat: (Launched 09:47 / Returned 11:09) – James Wakefield (Helmsman), Tom Bird, Cadan Harris, Lloyd Barron


At 09:41 Falmouth Coastguard requested that Falmouth Inshore Lifeboat be launched to assist a person on board a 10m yacht which was taking water on a mooring off Greenbank Quay in Falmouth Inner Harbour. The All Weather Lifeboat was also brought to immediate readiness at 09:45 in case additional support was required due to the prevailing weather conditions.

The Inshore Lifeboat launched from her slipway at 09:47 and headed up the harbour arriving on scene at 09:56. Lifeboat crew were placed on board the yacht to check on the casualty and investigate the water ingress. The Inshore Lifeboats salvage pump was transferred to the yacht but given the prevailing weather conditions the All Weather Lifeboat was requested to launch to provide additional support including the use of its larger salvage pump.

The All Weather Lifeboat left its pontoon berth at 10:00, arriving off Greenbank at 10:10 where it stood by in the main channel. The Inshore Lifeboat collected the additional pump from the lifeboat which was then transferred to the yacht. Once the water level on the yacht had been significantly reduced the water ingress was confirmed to be coming from the yacht’s transom due to the rough weather conditions. It was agreed that the occupant of the yacht would be taken ashore, while the owner of the yacht made arrangements for the vessel to be recovered by a commercial company. Once the Inshore Lifeboat had dropped the casualty ashore at the Greenbank Quay, it returned to the yacht where it recovered the remaining crewman and the pumps. At 11:00 both lifeboats were released to return to their station.

The All Weather Lifeboat was back alongside its pontoon berth at 11:08, with the Inshore Lifeboat being back on its slipway by 11:09. Both lifeboats were refuelled and made ready for service by 11:45.

The occupant of the yacht had contacted the Coastguard as they were concerned about the ingress of water and their own safety. Once the situation had been stabilised and the casualty was safely ashore the recovery of the yacht was left in the hands of a local salvage company.

To support Falmouth Lifeboat please visit