Report of person in the water

Inshore lifeboat crew: Neil Capper (Helmsman), Tom Bird, Sandy Procter
All-weather lifeboat crew: Jonathan Blakeston (Coxswain), Luke Wills, Carl Beardmore, Dave Nicoll, Diane Bush, Jonathan Hackwell
Location: Off the Falmouth Seafront
Shout Date: 19/08/2015 – 09:10
Weather: SW 3, Slight Sea and Swell, Fair Visibility, Overcast with Rain

At 09:03 Falmouth Coastguard requested that both Falmouth All Weather and Inshore Lifeboats be launched following reports of a person in the water close to the sea wall near Gyllyngvase Beach. Falmouth Coastguard Cliff Rescue Team, along with Ambulance Paramedics and Police Units were also tasked to assist.

The All Weather Lifeboat left its pontoon berth at 09:10 and headed out around Pendennis Point. The Inshore Lifeboat had arrived on scene at 09:13 and was directed by the Coastguard team to a location below the Membly Hall Hotel where a casualty was recovered from the water and was taken to Tunnel Beach and handed into the care of the paramedics. The All Weather Lifeboat arrived on scene at 09:20 and commenced a search offshore while the Inshore Lifeboat carried out a search of the shoreline.

Following the earlier service by the Inshore Lifeboat to a drifting inflatable which had been in the same area there were concerns that the two incidents might be related so the search was extended further out into Falmouth Bay, along the coast to Rosemullion Head and then into the Helford River where it had been confirmed that the yacht from which the tender had come was moored. At 11:35 with nothing further being found the search was terminated and both lifeboats were released to return to their station.

The All Weather Lifeboat was back alongside its pontoon berth by 12:01 where the lifeboat was refuelled and was ready for service by 12:20.

It was later confirmed that despite the efforts of the emergency services the person who had been recovered from the water had been sadly died and our thoughts go out to their family and friends