Yacht Dalliance taking water

Date: Saturday 28 April 2018

Location: Falmouth Inner Harbour

Weather: N 3, Calm Sea and No Swell, Good Visibility, Sunny

Inshore lifeboat: (Launched 09:34 / Returned 11:40) – Neil Capper (Helmsman), Elliot Holman, Jake Ingleby

Boarding boat: (Launched 09:50 / Returned 10:50) – Dave Nicoll (Helmsman), Will Allen


At 09:27 Falmouth Coastguard requested that Falmouth Inshore Lifeboat be launched following a report that the 12m yacht Dalliance with two persons on board was taking water in Falmouth Inner Harbour. The Falmouth Harbour Launch was also on scene.

The Inshore Lifeboat launched from her slipway at 09:34 and arrived on scene shortly afterwards at 09:36. The yacht was found to be extremely low in the water with over a metre of water inside the vessel. A lifeboat crewmember was placed on board the yacht with the Inshore Lifeboats salvage pump which was immediately used to try and stem the flow of water. With the harbour launch alongside the yacht providing a safe refuge should the situation deteriorate the Inshore Lifeboat headed back to the Lifeboat Station to collect the larger salvage pump from the All Weather Lifeboat. Having returned to the yacht this second pump was placed on board the yacht and the water level with in the vessel started to recede.

At 09:50 the stations Boarding Boat was requested to launch to take out additional fuel for the smaller pump and to provide further assistance if required. By 10:45 the water level had been reduced sufficiently to identify the source of the ingress which was then isolated. With the yacht no longer taking on water the Boarding Boat recovered the All Weather Lifeboat pump and was released to return to its station while the Inshore Lifeboat towed the yacht to the Falmouth Marina in Penryn River where a lift out had been arranged. Once the yacht was safely moored alongside the marina pontoon at 11:27 the Inshore Lifeboat was also released to return to its station.

The Inshore Lifeboat was recovered onto its slipway at 11:40 where the lifeboat was refuelled and made ready for service by 12:00.

The yacht was on a mooring in the Inner Harbour having been launched the day before following its winter layup. The Inshore Lifeboat had been requested to launch as there were concerns for the safety of the yachts occupants.

Video footage from this shout