Swimmers requiring assistance

Date: Sunday 28 June 2020

Location: Porthbeor Beach

Weather: WSW 5-6, Moderate Sea and Slight Swell, Good Visibility, Partly Cloudy

Inshore lifeboat: (Launched 12:19 / Returned 13:15) – Nick Head (Helmsman), Adam West, Tamara Brookes, Joe Amps


At 12:03 Falmouth Coastguard requested that Falmouth Inshore Lifeboat be launched following reports of two swimmers requiring assistance at Porthbeor Beach. The Portscatho Coastguard Cliff Rescue Team were also tasked to assist.

The Inshore Lifeboat launched from her slipway at 12:19 and having rounded Zone Point headed east arriving on scene at 12:31. One swimmer was located in a cove at the eastern end of the beach, being assisted by a member of the public on a paddle board. The casualty was then transferred to the Inshore Lifeboat by the paddle boarder. It was then confirmed that the second swimmer had landed further along the beach and had made their own way from the beach up to the cliff path above. The swimmer on the Inshore Lifeboat was checked over by a casualty care trained crewmember and while they were cold, they were in no immediate danger. Once it was confirmed that no other swimmers were in difficulties the swimmer was taken on to St Mawes where they were landed at 13:01, the Inshore Lifeboat then being released to return to its station.

The Inshore Lifeboat was recovered onto its slipway at 13:15 where the lifeboat was refuelled and made ready for service by 13:55.

In total there had been six triathlon swimmers who had departed from Towan Beach and were swimming along the coast to St Anthony Lighthouse and then back up the Percuil River. The six swimmers who were in three pairs had been acting on their own and were not part of an organised event when one swimmer had become exhausted in the prevailing weather conditions. Members of the public including two trained volunteer lifeguards had become concerned for their wellbeing and had therefore taken a paddle board down to Porthbeor Beach before heading over to the cove to assist the swimmer. Initial first aid was given by the experienced volunteer lifeguard before the arrival of the Inshore Lifeboat. This incident could have been much worse if it had not been for the intervention of members of the public.