Person in the water

Date: Thursday 10 May 2018

Location: Falmouth Inner Harbour

Weather: SSE 2, Calm Sea and No Swell, Good Visibility, Overcast

Inshore lifeboat: (Launched 00:02 / Returned 00:43) – Thomas Telford (Helmsman), Claire Angove, Jamie Wakefield

Boarding boat: (Launched 00:05 / Returned 00:43) – Elliot Holman (Helmsman), Jamie Connoly


At 23:54 Falmouth Coastguard requested that Falmouth Inshore Lifeboat be launched following reports of a person in the water in Falmouth Inner Harbour off Custom House Quay. It was also decided to launch the stations inflatable boarding boat to assist in the search. The Falmouth Coastguard Cliff Rescue Team was also tasked along with Police and Ambulance units.

The Inshore Lifeboat launched from her slipway at 00:02 arriving on scene off Custom House Quay at 00:06. The Boarding Boat left its pontoon berth at 00:05 and commenced its initial search from the Grove Place Dinghy Park. Once the Inshore Lifeboat crew had spoken to the first informant who was on the Falmouth Yacht Haven they commenced their search towards the Gasworks Carpark where there had been further reports of a person in the water. A set of clothes was then located on the Gasworks Carpark steps and at 00:29 the Boarding Boat located the casualty collapsed on the steps at Fish Stand Quay. The lifeboat crew gave immediate Casualty Care until the arrival of an Ambulance Paramedic shortly afterwards. Once the casualty was in the care of the Paramedic and the Coastguard Team the Inshore Lifeboat and Boarding Boat were released at 00:37 to return to their station.

At 00:43 the Inshore Lifeboat was recovered onto its slipway while the Boarding Boat returned to its pontoon berth. Both boats were refuelled and made ready for service by 01:00.

The reasons why the casualty was in the water are unknown, but with the water temperature still fairly low and it being night time there were serious concerns for the well-being of this individual. With the casualty initially not being located the Coastguard Helicopter was also requested to assist in the search but was then stood down before it could get airborne.