Report of Person in Water clinging to yacht

Date: Thursday 28 September 2017

Location: Off Greenbank Quay, Penryn River

Weather: SW 2, Calm Sea and No Swell, Fair Visibility, Overcast and Misty

All weather lifeboat: (Launched 20:04 / Returned 22:40) – Luke Wills (2nd Coxswain), Jonathan Blakeston, Jonathan Hackwell, Neil Capper, Elliot Holman, Josh Williams, Will Allen

Inshore lifeboat: (Tasked 19:30 / Returned 22:40) – Claire Angove (Helmsman), Jamie Connoly, Jamie Wakefield


Falmouth Inshore Lifeboat was taking part in an evacuation exercise with the King Harry Ferry when at 19:30 Falmouth Coastguard requested that the Inshore Lifeboat proceed to the Greenbank Quay area of Falmouth Inner Harbour where a person had been reported clinging to the back of a moored boat. The Falmouth Coastguard Cliff Rescue Team was also tasked to assist.

The Inshore Lifeboat arrived on scene at 19:50 but could not locate the casualty so commenced a search of the immediate area. In view of the time since the initial call and the failing light the assistance of the All Weather Lifeboat was requested with the crew being paged at 19:55. The Coastguard also requested the assistance of a helicopter, but as the Newquay aircraft was already airborne on another mission the aircraft from South Wales was tasked.

The All Weather Lifeboat left its pontoon berth at 20:04 and proceeded up the harbour searching through the moorings on its way. Both lifeboats continued their search of the Penryn River and Inner Harbour until at 22:30 further information was obtained which confirmed that initial casualty had been confirmed to be safe and well so both lifeboats were released to return to their station.

The All Weather Lifeboat arrived back alongside its pontoon berth at 22:40 and the Inshore Lifeboat was recovered onto its slipway at 22:40, with both being refuelled and ready for service by 22:55.

The initial report had come from a member of the public on the shore and with failing light it had been difficult to initially identify the exact location of the incident. Eventually the casualty was identified as the occupant of a live on board boat in the harbour and it was confirmed that the initial situation had been quickly resolved.