Open Boat Ellie-Anne broken down

Sunday 9 October 2016

Location: 1 mile Southeast of Pendennis Point

Weather: ENE 2, Slight Sea and No Swell, Good Visibility, Partly Cloudy

All-weather lifeboat (Launched 12:03 / Returned 13:01) – Carl Beardmore (Deputy 2nd Coxswain), Dave Nicoll, Tom Bird, Andy Jenkin, Josh Beardmore, Elliot Holman

Lifeboat Boarding Boat (Launched 12:40 / Returned 13:25) – Adam West (Helmsman), Jack Chuter


At 11:54 Falmouth Coastguard requested that Falmouth All Weather Lifeboat be launched to assist the 6.5m Open Boat Ellie-Anne which had called 999 to report it was broken down and needed assistance in Falmouth Bay. The occupants were uncertain of their exact position and other boats in the Bay were also requested to assist in locating the vessel. The All Weather Lifeboat was tasked on this occasion due to its height of eye when searching and its ability to use its electronic detection equipment.

The All Weather Lifeboat left its pontoon berth at 12:03 and as the lifeboat headed out of the harbour it was confirmed that the boat had been located 1 mile Southeast of Pendennis Point and was undertow by the boat Puffin with the boat Markai also standing by. The lifeboat arrived on scene at 12:15 and transferred one of the lifeboat crew to the Ellie-Anne before the tow was taken over. The casualty was towed into the Falmouth Inner Harbour where it was handed over to the stations boarding boat at 12:50 and it was then towed it to its mooring off Fish Strand Quay. The All Weather Lifeboat was released to return to its station at 12:55, while the boarding boat had safely placed the casualty on its mooring at 13:15.

The All Weather Lifeboat was back alongside its pontoon berth at 13:01, where the lifeboat was refuelled and ready for service by 13:20. The boarding boat was back at the station pontoon by 13:25.

The two occupants on the Ellie-Anne had been out on a fishing trip when their propeller became detached from its shaft. They attempted to use their VHF radio without success so then used their mobile phone to call for assistance. They did not have a GPS to confirm their position or any flares to help pin point their location but were wearing lifejackets. The lifeboat crew gave them some safety advice and confirmed they would rectify this before going to sea again.